I'm writing this post not to report on anything (I'll do that when I get my camera back this week) but to beg for help and advice. Zachary has suddenly started waking up between 4 and 6 every morning, and it is absolutely killing me! Sometimes he'll go back to sleep and sometimes he won't, but either way it is very difficult for me to get back to sleep. I'm still feeling sick, especially in the mornings, and it's awful to start feeling that way so early. The problem is, I have no idea what to do to get him to stop waking up. We've tried keeping him up later, but that doesn't seem to make a difference. This morning I tried just letting him cry, hoping that he'd realize we weren't coming in and go back to sleep, but it's really hard to do that so early in the morning! I don't know what else to try, other than maybe sticking him in the basement where we can't hear him, so if anybody has any ideas, please let me know!!!
5 comments:
Oh no!! That sounds so terrible. The only thing I have found helpful for us is just letting him cry it out, although it's a horrible kind of torture for me. Sometimes there is just nothing else to do, and even though I hate it and cry the whole time myself, it does work. Sorry I don't have any better ideas. Hopefully someone else might!
Sadly I dont think there is any magic trick, letting him cry it out is probably the answer, but i am so bad at that, I cant stand it. Its even harder too cause its so close to morning...sorry, I understand the instant sickness too, I have been there though and this too shall pass...:)I know that totally doesnt help. Is he teething? maybe give him some tylenol before bed, or he could be going through a growth spurt, maybe he is hungry... i dont know, best of luck!!
does he like looking at books yet? if you put a few in his crib or toys he likes to play with it might keep him entertained when he wakes up...he'll probably cry a bit but then realize he has something to do...also, do you ever take unisom for sleep? its supposed to be the best when you're prego and i like it cuz i can still wake up and be alive when needed but falling back to sleep is much faster and easier.
Oh I am sorry! That is so hard! I am not sure I have the answer, but we read putting them to bed about 30 minutes EARLIER than normal. I know sounds counterintuitive to what you are trying to accomplish, but we did it and it worked. We also did the cry it out thing. I would set a time, like I won't go in there until 7 to get them up, or something like that...Good luck! I hope something works. It may be something medically wrong, ear infection, teething, strep throat, does he have any other symptoms?
I hope this is okay for me to post a comment on your blog. Your post caught my eye when I was reading the Jones blog. My little one went through the same thing only she would wake up at 3am and 5am screaming at the top of her lungs and wouldn't go back to sleep. My pediatrician told me it was probably night-tares and to put her to bed, wake her up 30 minutes later (make sure is awake) and then put him back to bed. It is suppose to stop the cycle he is on and "restart" his sleeping habits. You can do this for a few nights and then put him to bed as normal. Hopefully it works for you it worked for us the first night we tried it. PS we used to be in the same ward (Bonneville 5th). Congrats on your pregnancy. I had to post because I know how hard it is to not get the sleep you need.
Audrey Jepsen
Post a Comment